Monday, June 2, 2008

To Sex or not to Sex!

Movies and TV Series form a major and important part of my entertainment life. It might sound cheap reading this but growing up, I used to be very filmy, never cared to sort out the difference between reel life and real life. Many a times, my mother would catch me lost in my own world, mumbling something.
Not that I cant live without them, but the world created in the big screen (by a few people) somehow takes me away from the pain in my life for a while. I get to live the lives of the characters in the movie and that is such a stress reliever, atleast for me.

And living the lives of the characters brings me to 'Sex and the City' that took the small screen to a different level all together back in 1998. Someone might think what is it that people like so much about this particular show? What is it that the show has which others don't? Why does everybody just talk about it like its no taboo to talk about sex?
The answer might be sex itself, the way women should openly talk about problems, speak up about subjects which are otherwise considered taboo!!
Four amazingly beautiful and successful women not scared to ask for a f***. They don't care what the world thinks about their desires, no church telling them how much is enough and that that does not make them sluts, and whether they really need just any man by their side (as they're growing way older than the marriageable limit set by the married pigs and their she pigs) to validate the fact that they're happy or should they just stick to their Rabbits for a while. (You'll only know what I mean if you see the show or have used one in your own life.

Kudos to Michael Patrick King(Writer, director), every gay/girl friend of mine wants to be like Carrie Bradshaw, the protagonist. I've come across women who still use the lines from the show at times which makes my dear friend Bubu say, "Get a new series, Love." The show was as someone rightly described, a cultural phenomena.
By the way... Bubu happens to be my best friend, an amazingly good looking chap whose real name is Prateek Oberoi. When he opens his mouth, you will actually spot many similarities in his character and Samantha Jones' from the show. But spending more time with him, one could even see the manly, charming side of Big in him. He proudly calls me Bradshaw(as I think too much, and that now I have a blog here) which I don't like, but find it alright.

After reading a number of bad reviews pouring in from everywhere about this most awaited movie of the year(atleast for me and Bubu's calender year 2008), I was a bit apprehensive about whether I should really spend on a movie which'd only sell a couple of Manolo's(Its a foot-wear brand, for the uninitiated), Dolce's and Colas for women and be a waste of time for us men.
Discussing my scepticism with Bubu and whether I should really not go for advance booking, his response was, "No matter what anybody says, I'm going for this movie".
"Now that's like a true friend, Samantha!!" Really wanted to hear that.
Would keep you posted.

No comments: