Saturday, June 7, 2008

Sex and the Spoilers

I have finally discovered the recipe for making a wonderfully made movie appear "Oh, not so good".

Ingredients:

  • 10 tbsp. Expectations,
  • 17 Online searches (Blogger, Youtube, Google finely chopped),
  • 14 Telephone calls to multiplexes,
  • Spoilers to taste.
    • The search engines in my computer in the past few days have searched nothing but "Sex and the City, The movie". I was so anxious to know how the movie was fairing, I searched every possible site to know a bit more about the same.
      "A bit more" never really came to an end. Bubu on the other hand was completely spoiler-phobic since the release of its trailer. So, I too tried to stick to the articles with '(No spoilers)' tag. They eventually gave away a few surprises from the movie!
      On 6th June, the official release date of the movie in India, I called up Bubu who didn't seem quite interested but after a few techniques of persuasion decided to come. I reached on time, so did he(quite unusual) and we went to the "First day, first show", as they say.The movie began with a bang, better than I'd expected, had a nice pace, intelligent writing, with

      Manolo's, Vogue, Vivien Westwood, Christian Lacroix/Dior, Cosmopolitan, and loads of collagen! It was good to see the writers being open about it too, Samantha said, "..Marriage, I'm not so sure, Botox on the other hand works all the time".

      I was satisfied, but somewhere in the middle I caught myself yawning. Everything about the characters seemed quite matured. And different. Carrie looked old, so did Big, Samantha looked, well, different from her usual crazy sex-maniac self. Charlotte was seen screaming at Big(Huh?), and one could find a lot of Bollywood drama, generally not found in a
      Sex and the City episode. Only Miranda and Steve were the ones whose lives were just the same, fighting and separating. Jennifer Hudson was like a breath of fresh air in the otherwise boring sequences. And so was Samantha's pooch!!

      I whispered to Bubu, "You know, the 27 minutes in an episode was better". His reply was, "Shut up, the movie's crazy, I'm loving it". And soon came the sudden realisation, a path breaking one, he had no idea what the movie had to offer, whereas I knew everything from whether Big and Carrie were ever to be married, who had a steamy bathroom scene, who shits her pants, who leaves who and comes back to NY.... everything.
      However, the movie ended fine, with everything happy and complete, and with Cosmopolitan of course. We loved it, and shaked a leg to "Labels or love", Fergie's voice to the OST.
      Shopping for labels, shopping for love
      Manolo and Louis, it’s all I’m thinking of...
      Love’s like a runway but which one do I love more
      No emotional baggage, just big bags filled with Dior...
      Relationships are often so hard to tame
      A Prada dress has never broken my heart before....


      Once out, We completed our outing with a Veg frankie, Lokhandwala ishtyle and with Bubu saying "Lets go again tomorrow". "Sure baby, lets do it again", surprised that I genuinely wanted to watch it again!

      So, here's what one should do to like this movie, read my post!
      Hehee... And think that you're going for a movie, not a 27 minute long episode.

      No comments: